The Trinidad and Tobago Housing Development Corporation (HDC) builds affordable housing for purchase by eligible citizens. Citizens can apply for a new home online or at Ministry of Housing and HDC offices. The new home ownership program is designed to assist citizens who may otherwise be unable to afford home ownership to purchase their first home. Residents of Tobago should apply to the Tobago Housing Development Programme, administered by the Tobago House of Assembly.
How is housing allocated?
All housing that becomes available is allocated in the following way:
- 75% is reserved for public applicants through a random selection system.
- 10% is reserved for the Joint Protective Services - Police, Army, Prisons and Fire Services.
- 15% is assigned to deal with special emergency cases, senior citizens and physically challenged persons.
Do I qualify?
To qualify for a new home, applicants must be:
- A resident citizen of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Twenty-one years of age or over.
- Neither owner nor part owner of a house or land.
- In possession of a Board of Inland Revenue tax file number.
How do I apply?
You can apply for a new home on the Ministry of Housing website. The website provides information on the locations of housing developments, plans for future developments, and photos of available housing. For assistance in applying online, please consult the user manual. The online application and user manual are available by following the links at the end of this section.
You will be told if you meet the basic qualifications for new home ownership when you apply. Successful applicants are selected through a random computerised selection process. If you are selected, you will be contacted for an interview with the HDC for a detailed eligibility assessment. Qualified applicants will then be referred to the Trinidad and Tobago Mortgage Finance Company (TTMF) or a financial institution to obtain mortgage financing. Follow the link below for information concerning mortgage financing from the TTMF.
What else do I need?
The following documents must be presented during your first interview:
- Originals and photocopies of the identification cards of all applicants, and other members of the household, where applicable.
- Originals and photocopies of birth certificates of all members of the household.
- Original and photocopy of marriage certificate (if applicable).
- A sworn affidavit indicating that the applicant does not own a house or land.
- Original job letters of all applicants (where applicable).
- Proof of Board of Inland Revenue (BIR) file number of all income earners in the household.
- Statement of savings from your financial institution
Where do I apply?
Where can I find more information?
For further information, please contact the Trinidad and Tobago Housing Development Corporation at (868) 623-HOME (4663) ext. 5531 or 5532, between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.